Thursday, February 17, 2011

Plans and Whatnot

In the past few years gardening has become a big part of my life.  I don't know why I am so drawn to it.  Perhaps I have always had a fascination with the creative process.  I still remember the stories of the Boxcar Children that I used to read and wish that I had the same fortune to find myself in survival mode, planting and reaping to live.  I even remember planting carrot seeds across the street from our house outside the neighborhood fort.  Well, those carrots never quite made it to maturity.  Somehow inquiring minds and the temptation to peek don't quite mix when growing root crops.

As I have grown more accustomed to gardening in the northern states I have learned a lot about this land and myself.  With each new season we get the chance to celebrate resurrection.  No, these aren't the same gardens that we had last year.  But the seeds of last year bring new life to sustain us for the year to come.  And with the bleakness of the winter deep freeze comes a word of hope from catalogs like Burpee, and Gurney's, and Territorial.  So with sure and certain hope of the last frost in site I will plan this garden and reap its bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment