Thursday, February 17, 2011

Some Possible Contenders


So I am intrigued by these carrots.  As their name would suggest (Parisian Carrots) they are French in origin.  They are highly sought after in the gourmet market.  If nothing else they are cute little suckers.  They are now on their way from sustainableseedco.com

                                                                                                                                    This variety of bean is called a Christmas Bean.  It is a pole variety that is much like a Lima bean.  I came across them first when I was at the Dandelion General Store outside of Fosston MN.  I love these beans and can't wait to experiment with a bamboo tee pee.
The last contender for today is the Tomatillo.  These little suckers often get mistaken for green tomatoes.  And they have a flavor that gives off slight hints of tomato with a kiwi kick to it.  These guys are the ingredient of every descent salsa you have had at a restaurant.  Ever wonder why you cant get your salsa to taste like theirs?  It's probably because you don't have these in your arsenal.  I will be planting 3 or four of these plants just to make sure that we end up with two.  They are not self pollinating so you need to have at least two plants to produce viable fruit.

4 comments:

  1. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO GET THESE ROUND PARISIAN CARROTS? DO THEY COME FROM A SEED? WHEN DO I PLANT THIS SEED? HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GROW OUT??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a website mentioned.

      Delete
  2. Respected Sir I would like to know about carrots and beans, I want to grow in my yard, Is these available in INDIA, How can I get seeds or plants, can I get online at home, Thanks

    ReplyDelete